The hamburger as we know it originated in the 1600s as “steak tartare” in Hamburg, Germany, and evolved to cooked beef patties on a bun that grew popular among U.S. workers at the beginning of the 20th century as they were easy to eat on the go. Today’s burger is extremely popular and has inspired thousands of chains and independent burger joints with limitless offerings including fast food and gourmet burgers. Stats show that 73% of burger fans worldwide eat at least one burger a month, 22% top their burgers with cheese, and 60% choose french fries as the perfect accompaniment.
In light of May being National Hamburger Month and Sunday, May 28 being National Hamburger Day, Palm Beach Happening is pleased to share not only our favorite meaty meal but also places to get as close to burger nirvana as you can in the Palm Beaches and beyond!
Burger history unveiled…
As a teenager growing up in the 1990s, there were only two types of burgers: hamburgers and veggie burgers. That’s it… no frills or fancy trimmings. Today you can get burgers made out of just about anything, topped with just about anything, and on any type of bun (or no bun) you can imagine, and here are some books to show you how!
Andrews, David. “Why does the other line always move faster? : the myths and misery, secrets and psychology of waiting in line”.
The next time you’re waiting in line for a burger, have this book handy to put lines into perspective. Also take a look for the author as he’s featured on the “Freakonomics” podcast dated August 10, 2016.
“Citing sources ranging from Harvard Business School professors to Seinfeld , the book comes back to one underlying truth: it’s not about the time you spend waiting, but how the circumstances of the wait affect your perception of time. In other words, the other line always moves faster because you’re not in it.” ®Bowker
Black Tap, Joe Isidori. “Craft burgers & crazy shakes”
“The debut cookbook from NYC’s viral sensation Black Tap delivers unique recipes for innovative burgers and sensational, over-the-top milkshakes. Black Tap is no ordinary burgers-and-fries restaurant–after opening in NYC’s Soho in March 2015, their bold, gourmet-flavored burgers and sky-high milkshakes adorned with donuts, sparklers, and oversized cookies have created a massive cult following on social media and the streets of New York, with people waiting in line for hours just to score a seat at the restaurant’s lunch counter.” ®Bowker
Bouchard, Loren and the writers of Bob’s Burgers. “The Bob’s Burgers burger cookbook : real recipes for joke burgers”.
“New York Times Bestseller ‘The Bob’s Burgers Burger Book’ gives hungry fans their best chance to eat one of Bob Belcher’s beloved specialty Burgers of the Day in seventy-five original, practical recipes. With its warm, edgy humor, outstanding vocal cast, and signature musical numbers, Bob’s Burgers has become one of the most acclaimed and popular animated series on television, winning the 2014 Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program and inspiring a hit ongoing comic book and original sound track album.” ®Bowker
Davies, Sarah & Kristy Taylor. “The Naked Kitchen veggie burger book : delicious plant-based burgers, fries, sides, and more : because everything tastes better naked”.
“Naked Kitchen website co-owners and mother-daughter team Davis and Taylor share over 100 of their favorite vegetarian recipes for burgers and their accompaniments in this colorful and flavorful collection… The authors offer an imaginative selection that readers will find worthwhile. For those eager to cook from scratch, there are recipes for DIY ketchup, teriyaki sauce and buns. Burger lovers may never be able to completely make the switch to the vegetarian side, but Davies and Taylor certainly give compelling options.” ©PWxyz, LLC.
Flay, Bobby. “Bobby Flay’s burgers, fries, & shakes”.
“After a long day spent in one of his restaurants or taping a television show, what Bobby Flay craves more than anything else is … a crusty-on-the-outside, juicy-on-the-inside burger; a fistful of golden, crisp, salty fries; and a thick, icy milkshake. Given the grilling guru’s affinity for bold flavors and signature twists on American favorites, it’s no surprise that he has crafted the tastiest recipes ever for this ultimate food trio.” ®Bowker
Motz, George; foreword by Andrew Zimmern. “The great American burger book : how to make authentic regional hamburgers at home”.
“Author and burger expert George Motz covers traditional grilling techniques as well as how to smoke, steam, poach, and deep-fry burgers based on signature recipes from around the country… Recipes feature regional burgers from: California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin.” ®Bowker
Napoli, Lisa. “Ray & Joan : the man who made the McDonald’s fortune and the woman who gave it all away”.
“The movie ‘The Founder,’ starring Michael Keaton, focused the spotlight on Ray Kroc, the man who amassed a fortune as the chairman of McDonald’s. But what about his wife Joan, the woman who became famous for giving away his fortune? Lisa Napoli tells the fascinating story behind the historic couple. ‘Ray & Joan’ is a quintessentially American tale of corporate intrigue and private passion: a struggling Mad Men -era salesman with a vision for a fast-food franchise that would become one of the world’s most enduring brands, and a beautiful woman willing to risk her marriage and her reputation to promote controversial causes that touched her deeply.” ®Bowker
Ray, Rachael. “The book of burger”.
“The Queen of Burgers has drawn together her tastiest recipes for the ultimate between-the-buns experience. Whether you’re cooking for one or for one hundred in your own backyard burger bash, The Book of Burger has you covered for bringing family and friends together for the love of burgers! Please ’em all–big and small–with everything from burgers to sandwiches, hot dogs, fries, sliders, and sloppies, and so much more.” ®Bowker
The Palm Beach County Library System has dozens of electronic books, printed books – both novels & non-fiction, audiobooks, and DVDs or Blu-ray discs to help you fulfill your burger cravings! Travel to your closest branch or find them on the web! As always, we’d like to thank Adam Davis, director of system services for the Palm Beach County Library System, for all his help in putting together this list.
Finding the perfect hunk of meat…
- Grease Burger, Beer and Whiskey Bar in Downtown West Palm Beach (213 Clematis Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401)
For the hungry:
Grease serves up Terance’s Housemade Veggie Burger with kale, chickpeas and spicy sprouts with Greek yogurt sauce ( $11.95), sure to kick a regular veggie burger’s buns.
Think you can handle the biggest burger Grease has to offer? The Grease Beast is Grease Burger’s signature cheeseburger stacked between two bacon & grilled cheese sandwiches, lettuce, tomato, and piled high with french fries, onion rings, ranch dressing and cheese sauce. ( $15.95)
- TooJay’s, the restaurant known for its generous servings of homemade, New York deli favorites, is celebrating National Burger Month with three new mouthwatering burger creations through June 4:
In the quest for hangover remedies, hearty burgers often do the trick. Caramelized onions, American cheese, bacon, and remoulade sauce topped with a fried egg make TooJay’s new Hangover Burger the perfect cure for a hangover or for simply beating the boring burger blues! $11.49
Prized for its nutrient value, good flavor and rich texture, avocado has become a popular superfood. Fresh sliced avocado, Swiss cheese, arugula and lemon garlic aioli make TooJay’s new Avocado Burger a discriminating diner’s delight. $11.49 Add bacon for $1.29.
For National Burger Month, nothing says BBQ like the aroma of a burger topped with smokehouse bacon, American cheese, smoky BBQ sauce and a crispy onion ring. You can enjoy the BBQ Burger for only $10.99.
Founded in 1981, TooJay’s has grown to 27 restaurants throughout Florida and currently serves guests in Palm Beach and Broward counties, the Treasure Coast, the West Coast of Florida, the Orlando area, The Villages, the Space Coast and Polk County.
TooJay’s received the 2016 Best of South Florida Award for Best Deli from the Sun Sentinel, two Foodie Awards for Best Deli and Best Take-Out from the Orlando Sentinel and is ranked eighth in the country for Family Dining by Consumer Reports.
For more information about TooJay’s, visit TooJays.com. Follow TooJay’s at twitter.com/therealTooJays and instagram.com/toojaysdeli or visit the Facebook fan page, which has over 78 thousand fans, and become a fan at facebook.com/TooJaysDeli.
In celebration of National Hamburger Month this May, Margaritaville, the global lifestyle brand inspired by Jimmy Buffett, is sharing a new recipe for an elevated version of its original Cheeseburger in Paradise, as well as the favorite burger recipes of some famous friends such as Ohio State University Head Football Coach Urban Meyer and the hosts of ABC’s “The Chew.” One of the most celebrated holidays at Margaritaville, National Hamburger Month is the perfect excuse to enjoy one of America’s most beloved foods and pay tribute to Margaritaville’s signature Cheeseburger in Paradise that has been served with a side of fun for 30 years.
The elevated Cheeseburger in Paradise recipe is a spin on the classic and a true favorite of Jimmy Buffett himself. Instead of Heinz 57, the burger features a tangy, creamy, and finger-licking good sauce that elevates the burger to new heights, and instead of a simple beef patty there’s a spice blend so that every bite has a kick of its own. Of course, the “big kosher pickle” makes its way into the sauce, tucked under the bun, for the unmistakable crunch Jimmy so melodiously celebrates. Check out the recipe below!
- The snowbirds have flown north – time for locals to skip the wait and enjoy fabulous summer dining deals! Now through October 31, the Forbes Five-Star Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa will offer a variety of prix fixe and other dining and drink specials designed to make summer the best snacking and sipping time of the whole year. We’ll be featuring some of the specials in an upcoming #TastyTuesday, but we’d be remiss if we didn’t let you know about their Daily Burger & Craft Beer Special, which can be found at the Breeze Ocean Kitchen. The dish is called the Double Brisket Beef Burger, and includes choice of side dish and is accompanied by one of our local 16 oz. draft craft beers for only $20.17!
The quest for “Burger Nirvana” continues…
The Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale Burger Battle™, presented by RIVA, is returning for its 8th year on Saturday, May 20, 2017. The battle takes place in the heart of downtown Fort Lauderdale at Huizenga Plaza, from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. This sizzling event will pit top restaurants and burger joints against one another. They will show off their creative juices and grilling skills to 1200+ guests along the scenic New River. The event raises funds to support the Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale’s mission of “building and nurturing a vibrant community connected by the New River.”
A team of restaurant industry judges will award the prestigious Riverwalk Burger Battle™ trophy. Judges rate burgers on texture, flavor, use of condiments, bread selection, unique approaches, etc. Guests will also select a Fan Favorite with their Burger Battle voting chip. Distinctive ingredients from the past include maple-infused jalapeño jam, sweet onion marmalade, and avocado mousse. Restaurants compete for the titles of Fan Favorite, Burger Nirvana, Best Bar and Grill, Best Burger Joint, and Best Burger.
The 2017 Contenders include: Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort, Tuck Duke’s Lunchbox, Big City Tavern, American Social, BRGR Stop, Burger Craze, Bokampers, Hard Rock Cafe, Pincho Factory, Metro Diner and more to come.
Besides the unlimited burger tasting, all event goers will be treated to a French-Fry Bar and live music from The Joe Friday Band. For $45, General Admission, guests will receive three drink tickets to wash down all those burgers with their choice of cocktail, wine or beer. Those looking for the VIP experience ($125) will receive early admission, specialty seating and open bar. The VIP experience is sponsored by PMG. Please note this is a 21 and over gated event, no children, babies or pets allowed. This event is sure to sell out, so CLICK HERE to get your tickets.
Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale thanks, Presenting Sponsor – RIVA, VIP Section Sponsor – Property Markets Group (PMG) and Official Auto Sponsor – JM Lexus, along with the following integral partners: Breakthru Beverage, Jack Daniels, Barefoot Wines, BB&T, Stephens Distributing, Budweiser, Stella, Golden Road Stevens & Goldwyn, P.A., Dynamix, The Media Lab, Ellis Connects, City of Fort Lauderdale, Best Rental Service, Big Mouth Girlz, Midgard Management, Sun Trolley, Palm Beach Happenings, Riverwalk Water Trolley, Eye on South Florida, Two Men And A Truck, College Hunks Hauling Junk and Go Riverwalk Magazine.
Putting beef between two slices of bread on your own terms…
No matter where you find your slice of hamburger heaven, sometimes the best burgers are the ones you make at home!
Chef Martin’s MexiCAN Burgers
This is one of Chef Martin’s favorite Burgers to prepare when he has company and is preparing an easy substantial meal. It is always a crowd pleaser and a great alternative to bring Mexican flavors to an American Classic.
Makes 6 large burgers.
- 1 Pound of ground beef
- 1 Pound of ground pork
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 Pound of Mexican Chorizo (Cook to manufactures directions and set to the side to use for topping)
- 8 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 6 hamburger buns, I like to use a good quality buns split and toasted
- 3 tablespoons Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 large avocado—peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- Thinly sliced red onion and cilantro leaves, for serving
In a bowl, combine the ground meats, mixing gently with your hands. Divide the meat into 6 pieces and gently shape each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Set the burgers on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
In a small bowl, whisk the ground coriander with the ancho powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano and chipotle powder to combine.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Generously season the burgers on both sides with salt. Grill over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and top each burger with 1 teaspoon of the spice blend; reserve the remaining spice blend for another use. Continue grilling the burgers until browned outside and medium-rare within. Transfer the burgers to a rack, top each with the cooked chorizo, crumbled queso fresco and let rest for 3 minutes. Spread the toasted buns with the crema. Set the burgers on the buns, top with the avocado, red onion slices and cilantro leaves and serve.
May is National Burger Month, and in celebration of this amazing festival of flavor we bring you a yummy meatless burger that will make you forget about asking “where’s the beef?!?”
● 1 pkg (8 oz. each) baby Portobello mushrooms
● 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
● 2 cups cooked red quinoa
● 3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
● 1/2 cup daiya cheese
● 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
● 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
● 2 tablespoon flaxseeds
● 1 teaspoon Spicy Brown Mustard
● 1 pkg Artisan Ciabatta Rolls
● 1/3 cup plain earth balance mindful mayo
● 2 teaspoons lemon juice
● ⅓ teaspoon curry powder
● 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
● Olive oil grilling spray
● 2 cups arugula
1. Preheat gas grill for medium-high heat. Meanwhile, place mushrooms and onion in food processor bowl; pulse until very finely chopped. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushroom mixture, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
2. Combine cooked quinoa, mushroom mixture, oats, daiya cheese, oregano, thyme, flaxseeds, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place rolls on warming rack or over indirect heat on grill. Heat 10 minutes or to desired color and crispness (165°F). Remove from heat; set aside. Stir together earth balance mindful mayo, lemon juice, garlic, horseradish, dill, ½ tablespoon agave, ⅓ teaspoon curry and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl; set aside.
3. Firmly press and shape quinoa mixture into 8 patties. Add patties to grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until set and cooked through.
4. Cut rolls in half horizontally. Place arugula and patties on bottom halves of rolls. Top each patty evenly with mindful mayo mixture. Close with tops of rolls. Serve immediately.
Serve sliders with your choice of bread. Cut Sweet baked potatoes, coleslaw. To cook quinoa, rinse 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa in fine mesh strainer. Place quinoa and 1-1/4 cups water or veggie broth in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Cool completely before using in recipe. Make Ahead: Individually wrap and freeze cooked sliders for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in refrigerator. Reheat in 350°F oven for 20 minutes until hot (140°F) OR reheat in skillet sprayed with your choice of No-Stick Cooking Spray over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes on each side until hot.
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.
- 1 ¾ pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Margaritaville House Spice Blend (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 4 burger buns, split and lightly toasted
- 8 slices American cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 large tomato slices
- 8 dill pickle slices
- ½ cup Paradise Island Dressing (see recipe below)
- Divide the ground beef into 4 even portions and shape each into a patty.
- Sprinkle both sides of each burger with some of the Margaritaville House Spice Blend.
- Place the oil in a large, heavy cast iron skillet that can hold the burgers in an even layer (or work in batches or use two skillets).
- Set the skillet over high heat and turn your exhaust fan on. Once the skillet is smoking hot, place the burgers in the skillet and cook until the undersides are nicely browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully turn the burgers and top each one with 2 slices of American cheese. Cook until the second sides are nicely browned and the cheese melts, a final 2-4 minutes.
- Put ¼ cup of shredded lettuce on the bottom half of each burger bun and top with a cheeseburger. Top each cheeseburger with another ¼ cup of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a few slices of dill pickle.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of Paradise Island Dressing on the undersides of the top buns and then close the burgers. Serve immediately.
Margaritaville House Spice Blend (Makes 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
Paradise Island Dressing (Makes 1 cup)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons drained pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place all the ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk together. Taste for seasoning, adding more lime and/or salt as needed.
National Hamburger Month, you say? That reminds us of a song…Get the recipe here: http://bit.ly/2pBMuoA
Posted by Margaritaville on Tuesday, May 2, 2017
After burger entertainment…
After a nice burger from Hard Rock Café, you might be ready to listen to some groovy tunes! Palm Beach Happening has worked out a deal with the Hard Rock Live for discounted tickets to the May 26 and May 27 Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons concert.
Remember that there is no love more sincere than the love of food. Stay on top of the latest trends in the culinary world with the foodies here at Palm Beach Happening. Bon appetite!