When you think of your home, does it evoke a welcoming, cozy, happy feeling? Our homes are a personal extension of ourselves. When we walk through the door, we should feel joy, contentment and peace. Although most of us want to experience those feelings in our own homes, we don’t always know where to start in creating this atmosphere. Vänt Wall Panels Interior Design Expert Bee Heinemann shares her design ideas for creating a happy, cozy home this season and beyond.
- Use Soothing Colors and Textures. Look around your home and take in your surroundings. Does it exude soothing colors and textures that are both welcoming and inviting? A home with soothing shades and soft textures set the overall mood, think tranquil blues, greens, greys, whites and beiges. Choose soft furniture with rounded edges and hardwood floors with soft area rugs. Use soft lighting and candles to produce a calming ambience. The idea is to create a space that looks and feels softer, calmer and more relaxing.
- Channel Your Inner “Hygge.” Hygge is the Danish concept of creating a cozy atmosphere in your home. It’s a choice and way of life. Find a gathering space in your home where your family can congregate. Put on your wooly socks, warm sweaters and add a few blankets. Light a fire in the fireplace, invite a few friends or family over and play board games or watch movies together nestled up and snug. Keep a good stock of board games nearby so it’s easy to grab a few family members and start up a game.
- Think Minimalism. Minimalism doesn’t have to mean stark surfaces and owning very little in terms of belongings, it can simply refer to decluttering the piles on the counters, getting rid of items that aren’t special or of importance and getting your home organized. It’s well-documented that clutter causes stress but order creates calm. When piles aren’t building up and everything has a home, clean-up is easy and quick. When it comes time for gift giving or buying something for your home, consider how the item will fit into your home. Will it create more clutter or will it be an investment in your home and family. No matter what the item is, consider quality over quantity.
- Cook Meals at Home. Home cooked meals are positive for so many reasons—it saves money, provides a healthier nourishment for your family and brings the family together at the dinner table. Encourage family participation in meal planning, food prep, and cooking. Whenever a child has had a hand in meal preparation, they are
more inclined to want to eat what they’ve cooked. Have your family take time to discuss the day, including positives and negatives and bring in conversation starters/prompts for fun.
- Surround Yourself with Things That Bring Happiness. Material items don’t bring us joy, memories and experiences do. Display sentimental items around your home that evoke happy memories and are reminiscent of good times you’ve had. Think framed photos or artwork, a vase with seashells, a beautiful rock collected from the ocean, a bowl of your great grandmother’s or something you picked up on your travels abroad. Aim for simple displays and not dust collecting clutter.
- Promote Relaxation in the Home. Make home an escape from the world outside. Relaxation and family time is important to decompress and should be included in every family member’s day. Encourage art together, play music, provide plenty of outdoor time, cook meals together, read, play games and watch movies and make downtime key.
- Live Intentionally. When you walk through the door of your home, put a stop to the craziness of the outside world. Leave the stress at the door mat. Make time for yourself and for your family, make time and room for love. Don’t forget to say good morning and good night to your loved ones, remember to ask them about their day or to say good luck on that test. Give hugs when you leave and come back home. And take breaks to disconnect from electronics, social media and Netflix.
Bee Heinemann is the Marketing Director and Interior Decorating Expert at Vänt Wall Panels. Vänt Wall Panels completely transform a room in just minutes. Inspired spaces make for inspired living. It’s the most innovative, cost and user-friendly wall décor system ever created. They’re perfect for every room in the house from the kitchen and bedroom to the living room and office. Learn more about Vänt by visiting (https://www.vantpanels.com/).