“Roses are red, Violets are blue,
Sugar is sweet, and so are you.”
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Are you trying to come up with something creative that will send the right message to your Valentine?
Below is an easy and fun way to make your own personalized fortune cookies that will be a heartfelt gift “made with love.”
Before you get started, you will need to type or handwrite your message(s) on a a tiny slip of paper.
Fortune Cookie Recipe
2 egg whites
1/2 cup flour (sifted)
2 tablespoons water
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Set oven at 400F degrees.
2) Place egg whites in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until very frothy, almost soft peaks.
2) Add sifted flour.
3) Add sugar, almond extract and vanilla extract.
4) Stir in 2 tablespoons of water to thin batter.
5) Using a Silpat baking mat, parchment paper or an ungreased baking pan, place 1 tablespoon of batter on pan. (the batter won’t stay in a circle if you grease the pan.)
6) In a circular motion, working from the center outward, spread the batter into a 5 inch circle.
7) Start with two cookies. Once comfortable with the process, more can be baked at one time.
8) Bake until the edges are slightly browned. Between 4-6 minutes. Start watching closely at around 4 minutes.
9) Work quickly, remove cookies from the pan with a very thin spatula. Wear thin gloves so as not to burn your hands.
10) Flip the cookie over and place slip of paper on top.
11) Bring sides up and pinch together.
12) Next, bend the cookie over the edge of a coffee cup. The whole process of forming the cookie should take just a few seconds.
Once formed, place cookies in a muffin tin to help them keep their shape while cooling. Then for a really cute finale, package them in a Chinese take out container. You can either go with the traditional white box or find one in red, or with hearts on it.
Either way, it is the perfect way to send your love to anyone!