- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, or coconut oil
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 Celery, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 Chipotle pepper, chopped
- 1 Can organic crushed tomatoes
- 3 Cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 Can organic coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Can organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can organic kidney beans, drained and rinse
- sour cream
- Chopped red onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté them for about 4 minutes. Add the celery, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, chipotle peppers, coconut milk and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine the ingredients. Add the crushed tomatoes and broth, cover the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Remove the cover, add the beans, and reduce the heat to medium. Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup sit for another 10 minutes so that the beans absorb more liquid.
- Serve the chili in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped onions and cilantro.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. The chili tastes even better the next day!
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX, PBS and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.