This farm to table delight will warm your soul from the inside out!
- 2 Cups Okra
- 1 Onion – cut
- ½ Green chilies – chopped without the seeds
- 1 sweet potato –
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ Red pepper – cut
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 4 Cloves garlic – chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander powder
- ½ Teaspoon Chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons mixed curry
- ½ Teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Can organic coconut milk
- 1 Can organic coconut cream – adds Thickness
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Cup low sodium veggie broth
- Cut the okra into bite sized pieces. Shallow fry them in oil and set them aside on a plate.
- Heat some oil in the same pan. Add chopped onion, ginger, green chilies, sweet potato (cut into bite sized pieces) and sauté till onion and sweet potatoes are slightly brown.
- Add the spice powders and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk and veggie broth salt and bring it to a boil.
- Add the fried okra and let it cook in the gravy for 5- 8 minutes. Add the lime juice at this point.
- Once the okra had infused with the gravy, add the coconut cream.
- Once the curry comes to boil after adding the thick coconut cream, it is done take it off the stove.
- Serve with rice, quinoa, couscous or rotis. Garnish with fresh mint.
- Note: You can add any of your favorite veggies to the stew.
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.