This weekend, fans of being cheesy will congregate at Tradition for the Treasure Coast Mac and Cheese Festival. With that in mind, Chef Zelicious brings us her take on this All-American staple.
This vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is made with a cheesy cashew sauce and tastes remarkably authentic. Naturally dairy-free, this pasta is also gluten-free when you serve this sauce over gluten-free noodles or cooked vegetables.
● 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
● 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
● 3/4 cup water
● 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
● 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
● 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
● 1/2 clove garlic
● 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
● 1 teaspoon garlic powder
● 1 teaspoon onion powder
● pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
● 1/2 teaspoon mustard-(dijon
● 16 ounces Elbow or shell pasta of choice (gluten-free,
● freshly ground black pepper
● paprika , for garnish
1. Prepare the pasta according to package directions.
2. While the pasta is cooking, combine the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and
mustard in a high speed blender and blend until silky smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 2-4 more tablespoons of water and blend again.
3. Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot and stir in the cheese sauce. Season to taste and serve warm!
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.