There’s something about a good stew that brings you straight to your happy place. No matter whether it is 90 degrees outside or 9 degrees, this wholesome meal helps calm your soul and tempt your tastebuds.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 Large sweet potatoes-diced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Cups lentils
- 1 Large organic tomatoes-diced
- 3 Cups water or veggie broth
- 1 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. cloves
- 1 Tsp. coriander
- 1 Tbsp Garam masala curry paste or powder
- 1/2 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups spinach
- 1/2 Cup cilantro- chopped
1. Heat olive oil over medium high. Add sweet potato and onion and saute for 6 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic, and saute another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add lentils, tomatoes, water, spices and the rest of the ingredients.
2. Cook for 35-45 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft and mixture begins to thicken. Stir in spinach, and let cook for another 3-5 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Served with rice,bread, quinoa, garnish with cilantro or fresh mint.
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX, PBS and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.