On Sunday, June 17, we pause to celebrate the most important man in our lives: Dad! This week, Chef Zelicious offers up her idea for the ultimate breakfast in bed; Lemon Poppy Chia Seed Pancakes!
● 2 Cups coconut flour or whole wheat flour
● 2 Teaspoon baking powder
● ½ Teaspoon baking soda
● ¼ Cup chia seeds
● ½ Teaspoon coconut oil
● 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
● ¼ Cup 100% maple syrup
● ½ Cup unsweetened organic applesauce
● 2 Cups almond milk or coconut milk
● 1 Tablespoons lemon juice
● 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
● 2 Tablespoons flax seeds
● Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, flax, cinnamon, salt and black pepper in a medium bowl.
- Mix together maple syrup, applesauce, milk, lemon juice and zest in a separate bowl.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined being careful not to over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Add chia seeds and stir to combine.
- Preheat a greased griddle on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes to get it hot. Place about ⅓ cup of batter onto hot griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Top with extra maple syrup, cinnamon, fresh berries, whipped cream, and fresh mint. Even dad deserves breakfast in bed.
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX, PBS and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.