It’s South Florida, it’s still way too hot, and nevertheless, sometimes you just want stew!
This week, we feature a childhood favorite of Chef Zelicious, and one that she just made this morning; Moussaka Eggplant Stew!
- 2 Large Eggplants
- ½ Cup Dry Chickpeas or 1 Cup organic canned Chickpeas
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 large Tomatoes chopped or 1 canned organic tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Mint
- 1 – 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of Kosher Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse your chickpeas under cold water and place in a pot with about 4 cups of water. Allow to soak overnight.
2. The next day, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add fresh water to the pot of chickpeas so about an inch of water is above the surface of the chickpeas. Bring to a boil and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 30 minutes. You can skip this step and use canned chickpeas as an option.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Cut your eggplants into cubes about two inches square. Coat with olive oil, salt and roast in the oven until tender and browned (about 20-30 minutes).
4. In a large pot, heat remaining olive oil. Add onions, cumin seeds, cumin powder and a pinch of salt, then sauté until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until garlic is tender and fragrant.
5. Add tomato, tomato paste, paprika, eggplant, drained chickpeas and mint. Bring to a simmer and cook until flavors meld, about 20 minutes. Add additional water as necessary to maintain a moist, stew-like consistency. Garnish with Fresh mint and Pine-nuts. It can be serve with cooked quinoa, couscous, jasmine, or brown rice.
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.