It’s cold outside! When it’s this cold, sometimes you need a dish that will warm you up from the inside.
● 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
● 3 cloves garlic chopped
● 1 white onion, roughly chopped
● 1 red bell pepper, julienned
● 2 carrots peeled and diced
● 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
● 1 can organic crushed tomatoes
● 3 cups low sodium veggie broth or water
● 1 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
● 1 can black beans
● 2 cups, 13 Bean soup mix
● 1⁄2 cup uncooked quinoa
● 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
● 2 tablespoons chili powder
● 1 cinnamon stick
● 2 teaspoons cumin powder
● 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper- optional
1. Place olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, jalapeno and red bell pepper; stir and saute for 2 minutes or until onions begin to soften,
then transfer to a slow cooker.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker: crushed tomatoes, broth, black beans, sweet potatoes,quinoa salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir until well
combined, then add the mixed bean. Cover and cook on low or 2-3 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
3. Garnish with cilantro, lime, greek yogurt, cheese-optional. Double the recipe for a crowd!
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX, PBS and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.
If you’re interested in sampling a few yummy chili concoctions, check out the Riverwalk Chili Cook Off!