Over the past two weeks, those who practice the Jewsih faith have celebrated the High Holy Days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. The New Year and Day of Atonement are not only significant in their religious tradition, but are celebrated by enjoying foods that remind people of the past.
This week, Chef Zelicious honors this tradition with her take on Zucchini and Cheese Latkes!
- 2 Large zucchini grated
- 1⁄2 Cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 Onion grated
- 1⁄3 Cup green onion, diced
- 1⁄4 Cup fresh mint, minced
- 1⁄2 Cup mashed chickpea
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 Teaspoons herb-de provence seasoning
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon smoke paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to cook
– Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth, drain zucchini completely.
– In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Salt and pepper to taste.
– Stir together until well combined. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. This step is important because the flour will absorb the moisture from the zucchini and create a batter.
– Warm a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
– Grease with preferred cooking oil then scoop out 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture at a time into the skillet.
– Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until light golden brown.
– Serve warm with dipping sauce, sour cream, or avocado.
Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, a professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine. She was the former Chef at the Raw Kitchen. She was a guest chef for Fox 29 WFLX, PBS and guest chef for the CBS 12 health and wellness expo, and provides our readers a new and exciting recipe each week for #TastyThursday.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at [email protected] or by phone at 561-629-0593.